RAND study find that news outlets have become less objective and more opinion and emotion-based. Television in particular tends to focus on personalities who talk about the news, versus objective reporting.
An academic study finds that Google steers news searches towards articles in left leaning publications versus to similar stories in right leaning publications. This is another post in our series about the influence that publishers and corporations (including social media) exert on public opinion.
Amazon, for some time, blocked advertisers from running ads that were said to contain “religious content”. This included gifts and clothing items with “biblical quotes and religious language”. Amazon has now announced this was done in error. This is another in our series of how large publishers and corporations use their online dominance to control online speech and thought.
- Thorogood Waterproof Leather Comp Safety Toe Work Boot Men's 6 Brown 804-4900
- Mens Cognac Full Crocodile Tail Pattern Western Cowboy Boots J Toe
- MEN'S NYBG SLIP-ON BOAT SHOES DECK SHOE 11M MEDIUM BROWN FAUX LEATHER NEW!
- Brand New Cole Haan Men's Grand Crosscourt II Sneaker - Size 7 M
- Nike Max Lebron XI Low Mens Light Grey/Crimson/Grey Basketball Sneakers size 8
- men's shoes TRIVER FLIGHT 7 () elegant brown suede BX566-40
- Allen Edmonds Casual Genuine Leather Manchester Slip On Dress Shoes Size 12 AA
- Allen Edmonds "THE BARTLETT" Oxfords 13 E Brown (583)
- Skechers Performance Women's Go Walk 3 Slip-On Walking Shoe
- Reebok Women's Vintage 1990's OG Freestyle Hi-Top Shoe 2-70 White sz. 8.5
- Nike Free Transform Flyknit Women's Running Shoe 833410 401 Size 9.5
- RACHEL ROY GARDNER Pewter Glitter Designer Pumps Heels 7.0 M
- Nike Lab Free RN Motion FK 2017 Womens 883292-002 Grey Flyknit Shoes Size 9
- AUTHENTIC NIKE AIR VAPORMAX FLYKNIT Dk Grey Reflect Silver 849557 019 Women size
- Women Genuine Leather Mules Open Toe Pumps Oxfords Gladiator Sandals Slippers
- Nanette Nanette Lepore Rose Block-Heel Ankle Booties 817, Black, 10 US
- New Franco Sarto Deepa Suede Ankle Booties women's shoes size 8
- Franco Sarto Women's Hydie Riding Boot, Grey, 6 M US
- ANTELOPE WOMEN'S 135 KNEE-HIGH ZIP-UP BOOT GREY LEATHER/RUBBER SOLE SIZE 11 MED
- Marcell Black Suede & Leather Boots Sz 37 USA 7 2 Ways To Wear
- Dr Martens Women's 11 939 Deep Red Rouge Greasy Suede Hiker Doc
- Womens Luxury Sequins Rhinestones Pointed Toe Knee High Boots Heels Shoes Yooo
- ETRO women's Taupe Suede Leather Over-the-Knee Boots IT37.5/US7.5 RTL$1690
- GREEN GEORGE men shoes handmade in Italy Dark brown leather wingtip chelsea boot
- ara Womens ROM-STF Hi-Top Trainers Schwarz,Bronce, 5.5 5.5 UK
- Womens Fly London Salv Rug Red Leather Flat Chelsea Ankle Boots SIZE 6
- PLEASER ASPIRE-608LG BLACK GLITTER ANKLE STRAP 6" HEEL PLATFORM SANDALS
- NEW Dorset Hotter Comfort Concept Womens Tan Penny Loafers Shoes Sz 8.5
- NEW TORY BURCH Travel T Ballet Flats Snake Embossed Sparkling Leather Roccia 7.5
- Dr Martens Ramsey Alt Shoe Oxfords Black Mens size 9 US: WOMENS Sz 10
- Grace Womens Back Zipper Cross Pointy Toe Shoes Suede Courts Shoes Ballet Flats
- Betseyville sling back heels leather and lucite Sz 5 1/2 Orig box tissue paper
- J.CREW Mirror Metallic 2 Inch Heel Sandals in Silver Ankle Strap Shoe Size 9.5
- Schutz Womens Shoes Wedge Brown Leather Wood Heel Buckle Slip-on 4604
- Badgley Mischka Pearson D'Orsay Pump - Women's Size 6.5W, White
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Women's Ankle Strap Open-Toe Gold Black Wedge Sandals S 40.5
- Max Mara Shoes 549162 White 37
- alexander mcqueen shoes women Own By Jenna Jameson Collection Item
- Emeril Lagasse Women's Julia Slip-Resistant Work Shoe
- Billabong Women's Levy Ankle Bootie - Choose SZ/Color
- GORGEOUS, SOLD OUT, NWB $795 LEOPAR PRINT SNAKESKIN SUSA MANOLO BLAHNIK SANDALS
- New Balance 1400 Shoes Men's Size 10.5
- ASICS GEL-Kayano 23 - Black - Mens
- Vans Classic Slip-On Winter Moss Skate Shoes Men's Size 7 Women's 8.5 $75
- Nike Air Huarache mens trainers sneakers 318429 440 eu 45 us 11 NEW+BOX
- SZ 11.5 Nike Air Force 1 Ultra Flyknit Low Men Black Volt Green Multi 817419-002
- NIKE MEN AIR PEGASUS '89 E RED 876111-800 US7-11 10'
- JORDAN FLIGHT TR'97 ANTHRACITE MEN SIZE 11.0 NEW AUTHENTIC RARE
- DS NIKE 2016 AIR FORCE 180 OLYMPIC GOLD METAL USA DREAM TEAM 7.5, 8, 9.5, 10.5
- Adidas forum 25.5 genuine national from japan (4544
- Kaws x Air Jordan 4 Retro Size 10
- Durango Men's Black Side Zip Western Boot
- Men's Printed Floral Sequins Patent Leather Pointed Toe Loafers Pull On Shoes L6
- Men's England Style Sequins Low top Loafer Round toe Breathable shoes White Size
- Men Vlado Footwear Shoes Aristocrat ll Fashion Blue Size 10.5
- COLE HAAN Men Brown Penny Loafers Leather Shoes Size 11 N **Narrow
- Navy Blue Genuine Calfskin Leather Mens Tassel Loafer Slip-On Night Dress Shoes
- Allen Edmonds men's "LEIDEN" Oxfords Sz 9 E Black (082)
- Women's PUMA Ignite Wn's 18807701 Tradewinds-Blueprint-Fl-Pink NIB
- PUMA Women's Ignite Limitless Netfit NC Wn Sneaker, - Choose SZ/Color
- LIVIA MONETTI women shoes Natural brown leather ankle boot with zip fastening
- WOMEN'S ASICS KAYANO 23 SIZE 5.5 !!BRAND NEW !! WITHOUT BOX! RUNNING SHOES!
- Steve Madden ELOUISE Womens Elouise Fashion Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- Sofft Women's Milan Ankle Cuff Sandal Black Oyster Leather Heeled Sandals
- Ash Women's AS-Lucky Star Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Women Over Knee Boots Suede Slouch Bolck Heels Pointy Toe Casual Pull On Shoes
- Sbicca 'Marimba' Women's Black Suede Fringed Ankle Booties Size 8 M
- CORRAL Boots Love Heart Peace Wing Tan Leather Embroidered Cowgirl Festival 5
- Women's Leather Pointed Toe Ankle Boots High Block Heels Studs Rivet Punk Shoes
- STEVE MADDEN VENDDETA BLACK PEEP-TOE BOOTIE SIZE 8
- Geox RESPIRA Women's Coffee D Felicity BOOTS US 8.5
- Man/Woman Aquatalia Erika Waterproof Suede Bootie, 12 New market the most economical have fun
- LL Bean Signature Wool Tall Duck Boot Out of Production Buffalo Plaid Sz 9 NEW
- New Windsor Smith Princeton Ws Black Mens Shoes Casual Boots Ankle
- New Balance Women's Shoes CRT300 EC Size 4.5 UK
- Ladies Indigo Charm D fitting black leather shoe by Clarks
- Bella Vita Coritaly Engraved Wedge Sandals, Brown Leather, 9.5 W US
- J. Crew Leather Ballet Flat Blue Shoes Women's Size 7 Made in Italy
- Vionic Splendid MIDI Grey 356 Size 9 356 Midi Womens Sneakers
- NICE Alegria Women PAL-656W Mary Janes Size 41W (U.S) 8/8.5 Brown SLIP RESISTANT
- Croft & Barrow® Women's Ortholite Ballet Flats Navy Boucle Size US 7 TT35
- KORK-EASE AVA WOMENS NATURAL LEATHER WEDGES HEELS SANDALS SHOES 11 Bn
- Aerosoles Womens Best Dressed Pump- Pick SZ/Color.
- Bordello Women's Teeze 07 Gold Metallic PU Heels
- Man's/Woman's KARLA MESH PLATFORM Best-selling worldwide Online export store Fine wild
- YSL Brown Leather Lip Hardware Ankle Strap Plastic Heel Pumps Size 9
- MINT YSL Tribtoo BLACK Caviar Leather Pumps Platform Stiletto Heels 38 $795
- Sam Edelman Womens Romy Cork Wedge Flip Flip Sandals Size 8.5
- Earthies Leather Corsica Multi Color Browns & Green 7.5 B Medium
- Kim & Zozi Women's Gypster Fashion Sneaker, Navy, 6 M US
- Lovely Bulldog Print-Running Shoes For Women-Express Shipping
- New Mens 13 Converse CTAS Hi White Gold Leather Shoes $75 153115C
- New Balance Men's 574 Sport Shoes Grey with Black 10.5 D
- adidas Men's Adiease Woven Skate ShoesGrey/White-Black Size 8
- Puma Clyde Natural Men's Shoes Natural Vachetta 363617-03
- Men's/Women's Adidas Prophere Triple Black Size 11.5 Outstanding features Selected materials wonderful
- New Adidas Derrick Rose 773 III HIGH Blue Black MENS 8.5 C75727 Basketball Shoes
- VANS VAULT OG CLASSIC SLIP ON (SPONGEBOB) PATRICK YELLOW WHITE SZ 11.5 MENS NEW
- VANS NORTH FACE SK8-HI MTE DX BLACK/RED-WHITE VN0A3DQ5QWS Men 7.5 - 13
- Kobe 8 VIII System Easter Size 11
- Lugz Boots Old Skool Suede Moc Toe Navy Blue Shoes Size 9.5
- HUNTER RENNY 2 BOOTS BLACK SIZE 11 WITH FLEECE INSIDE ALL LEATHER MSRP 345
- ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI CNVS Size 10.5 - NIKE
- Mens Males Outdoor Fashion Sneakers Casual Gentle Slip-on Shoes Brown 4706_mC
- Converse Breakpoint Pro Low Black White Suede Men Casual Shoes Sneakers 159577C
- Sutor Mantellassi Shoes: 9 UK / 10 US Patinated tan sneaker
- Franco Sarto Women's Delancey Ankle Bootie New Mushroom 8 M US
- Men's Stacy Adams Arturo crocodile print Suede Wingtip Oxford Brown 25050-200
- NIKE WOMEN'S FREE TR 6 SHOES SIZE 6.5 turquoise white green 833413 300
- NIKE HYPERVENOM PHANTOM II SOCCER CLEATS FG SIZE 13 BRAND NEW (718752-487)
- PUMA & Ferrari Collab, Selection NM Women's Wedge Athletic Shoe, WHITE
- SAINT LAURENT Sz-40 Silver SL/01 Low Top METALLIC LEATHER Sneakers TRAINERS
- Marc Jacobs Mercer Slip On Skate Fashion Sneaker Black/Silver US 10 $295
- PUMA IGNITE ULTIMATE PRISM WN'S-W Womens Ignite Ultimate Prism WNS Running Shoe
- DEMI-06 Black Super Thigh High Satin Pointy Toe Stiletto Heel Boot
- Vasque Breeze III Mid GTX Women's Gargoyle/Stone Blue Hiking Boots 7.5W
- NEW Steven By Steve Madden Shooter Kiltie Bootie Red Leather SZ 6
- Vero Cuoio Italian Boots Zipper Boot size 6 M"..
- RARE EUC Marc Marc Jacobs Black Patent & Fabric Mid Calf Block Heel Boots US 9.5
- Fenty Puma By Rihanna Black Platform Boots Sz 6 As Is Combat
You can tell this is an Internet meme that isn’t true because Corvettes have never had a back seat – 2 seats in front, that’s all.
Facebook bans those who appear to engage in hate speech or promoting acts of violence, and says it will ban those who may, in turn, make supportive comments about those who have been banned.
Social media companies want to act like an edited publication that is liable for its content while simultaneously saying they are like the telephone company which is not liable for the content carried over their network. Social media companies promote net neutrality to require third party Internet networks to carry their content unimpeded – while social media company’s simultaneously disable other people’s contents. This is a challenging problem.
The way to respond to accusations of fictional news reporting is to double down on accuracy, objectivity and remaining calm. Unfortunately, the news industry continues to harm itself through self destructive behavior typical of middle school drama, such as this fiasco from the NY Times.
Three glaring errors seen in main stream media over about a 24 hour span. Embarrassing. None of these examples should have occurred.
Police routinely ask Google to provide information about all phones within a neighborhood of a crime. This has resulted, in at least one example, of an innocent man arrested for murder. While released a week later, he was fired from his job – even though he was 100% innocent. Further, from the linked news article, Google retrains location information for potentially forever – we already know that Google collects location data even when you disable Location services.
For once, Facebook is honest? 🙂
Amazon staff listen to Alexa recorded audio but only an “extremely small number of interactions from a random set of customers”.
Facebook continues to claim they oppose discrimination in all forms, in spite of mountains of evidence showing they continue to discriminate based on age, gender and other attributes in their ad platform.
Social media promoters know that “outrage” leads to more views. That’s why conspiracy theories and other outrageous content flourish on social media – because they are watched.
UpGuard’s Cyber Risk team said Mexico City-based digital platform Cultura Colectiva openly stored 540 million records on Facebook users, including identification numbers, comments, reactions and account names. Another database, an app called At the Pool, listed names, passwords and email addresses of 22,000 people, UpGuard said. Source: Facebook removes exposed user records stored on Amazon’s servers | Reuters
Facebook’s advertising tools enabled advertising to target potential housing customers by “race, religion, familial status, disability” in order to exclude members of protected classes from renting or buying property.